Reynolds secures top ten finish in Adelaide

David Reynolds has managed to come away with a top ten finish in the Superloop Adelaide 500, despite a mixed weekend.

The #9 driver got off to a flying start, where he topped the first practice session on Thursday, setting the pace for the rest of the weekend. His performance continued into Friday’s practice sessions, where this time the results mattered. The Penrite racer finished up 6th and 7th, which ultimately gave him a free pass into Qualifying part 2 on Saturday, as well as Sunday.

Saturday’s qualifying session saw Reynolds better his position from sixth to fourth and from there went into the Top Ten Shootout. As he rolled out for the Shootout, smoke began to fill the cabin and it was almost certain there were mechanical dramas. Told to press on by his engineer, he somehow managed to pull an impressive 1:19.4841 which put him in second ahead of race 1.

“I thought my day was done in the Shootout when smoke started coming into the car,” said Reynolds.

“I didn’t know if it was an engine or power steering failure but pressed on and somehow managed to finish up 2nd.”

The 34-year old pushed hard throughout race 1, having some good battles with Shane Van Gisbergen and just missed out on a podium finish, crossing the line in fourth.

“I had some good battles with Shane. It was a tough race though that’s for sure. I fought for as long as I could, but the tyres started to fade a bit and I knew I was on the defence so there wasn’t much more I could do,” said Reynolds.

Sunday was a difficult day, where Reynolds was forced to sit in the pits for Qualifying after a mechanical issue. Luckily, after Friday’s finishing result saw him through to Qualifying part 2; 14th was the ‘worst case’ starting position ahead of the final race.

From there, the luck began to transpire after Reynolds felt the pressure from Winterbottom, resulting in him unintentionally tapping teammate Anton, spinning him around ultimately ending the day for car #99.

After facing a pit lane penalty, David fought back from the back of the pack and managed an impressive eighth.

“Eighth isn’t a bad result, but it’s just how I got there,” said Reynolds.

“Starting from 14th, I was trying to make my way through a few cars as I felt I had the speed but was also getting squeezed by (Mark) Winterbottom. I accidentally just clipped Anton, but that’s all you need around that corner.

“I just feel super bad for the #99 crew. We are a team at the end of the day, so you want results for two cars.

“All things considered, I’m happy with an eighth finish. We had a good car to get there and we have some positives to take away from the weekend and into the next round.”

The Virgin Australia Supercars will hit the track for the next round at the Beaurepaires Melbourne 400, March 12 – 15.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *